There are many terrific automata out there that show groupings of creatures in motion. I have always thought that fish ones were particularly interesting. After my assembling my last piece turned into something a little frustrating I decided to make something a little simpler. Hence my next project - school of fish. they will be nothing to exotic tough as they will simply bounce up and down and open their mouths as they appear to swim.
As it is simpler it will likely end up in a more comfortable price range. So with the design and CAD drawing completed I will start building "School"s Out" this weekend.
Hopefully you have already noticed a new look for the website. The content remains the same as it was on the previous "dark brown" version. I'll periodically change the background image just to keep things interesting.
When you get back into things you've done before you always find the boo-boos that you didn't notice at the time, so I fixed a few typos and some grammar along the way.
I know you shouldn't use your audience as your auditor, but if you find any areas I messed up in the update, drop me a line and I'll fix it up.
Hope you find the new theme a little more eye appealing.
Well I think it is time for a website refresh, so I am setting out to apply a new template and clean things up a little. Hopefully this will not interfere with your browsing of my site.
I do know that I will have to replace the banner photos individually on each page as my web provider templates will not automatically convert them to the new template. It will take me a little time to reload them so hopefully things won't look to wonky for long. Probably attempt this Monday!
You can now see a video of my latest automata, "Pond Life" on the "Pond Life" page on my website or on my Youtube channel. Additional photos taken during the building are shown on the Pond Life Photo Gallery Page.
Hope you enjoy them!
Well it seemed like forever for me but I eventually finished my latest piece, "Pond Life". Originally it was to be "The Life of a Frog" but the addition of Billy the bass, and Willy the water snake as a handle made rename the piece. As I mentioned before, even though it was a simple project in concept, I made more little boo-boos and &*$@# along the way than any other piece I've done. So this will go down as a real labour of love. I thought about putting it aside many times!
Anyway here is a photo. In a view days I'll throw together a video and post it.
Finally back in the shop after some kitchen renovations, some time with the grandkids, and fighting off the persistent summer cold! What was supposed to be a fairly straight forward piece has turned into a never ending game of adjustment. My buddy the frog has been a challenge. Maybe it is because I have been away from it for a while or maybe I have lapsed into early senility. It seems every time I assemble something I find another interference! I guess I haven't been looking at my CAD designs closely enough!
Anyway I'm back at it and here is the frog in a pre-assembly fit up. Just one more piece of the mechanism to add. Hopefully it will work the first time. Based on my track record lately, it could take weeks!
Automata is a creative blend of my life interests , engineering, art and woodworking.