Automata Repair - Completed!
In my last post I described how I was going to repair my "Fishing" automata. Once I removed the top piece (first photo below) to gain access to the mechanism I decided to try some creative sanding to try to provide more clearance.
I was able to remove material on the sides of the Geneva drive wheel and the star wheel using a Dremel tool and then hand sanding. As a result I was able to create enough clearance for the Geneva mechanism to run smoothly. You can see the result in the photo below. The narrow slit of light on the left side of the disc was where the most interference existed. I removed material on the face of the star wheel and the face of the drive wheel as well.
The goods news is I did not have to cut out and replace the original part. The repair wash fairly simple and took little timeI did however removal material from the wheels and marred the original finish. I can live with this as I will likely keep this prototype in my personal collection and never sell.
Leave a Reply.
Automata is a creative blend of my life interests , engineering, art and woodworking.