After working on numerous other little bits I finally got to point where I could determine how long the neck shaft should be so I completed the head mechanism discussed a few blogs ago. The photo below follows up from the last series showing how the eyeball axles get glued into the head. Not the best looking glue job, but it works, and the only ones seeing it will be me and those reading this blog! The key here is to not get glue onto the eyeballs so they will still move.
Here's another view showing things in place and the eyeball in the full down (rod up) position.
The last step is to glue on the hat hiding the inside mechanism for good. A couple pupils should bring him to life. Alternately a hole cut in the back of the head can be filled in and disguised in hair details. Now what logo to put on the hat!
Automata is a creative blend of my life interests , engineering, art and woodworking.